Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Evil Dead

     So, I went to see Evil Dead this weekend fully expecting to have to cover my eyes at the "scary" parts (yes, I do that), but I didn't.  Don't get me wrong, I found the movie to be every bit as frightening as it was predicted to be, I just think that I have finally become so desensitized to the blood and gore that I can watch a movie where a girl slices her tongue right down the center without batting an eye.  I blame The Walking Dead. 

     I thoroughly enjoyed Evil Dead and will probably see it again.  The story line stayed true enough to the original, but must be judged on its own for its noticeable differences.  For example, no Ash. However there was a female version that I thought was pretty comparable.  Now now, I'm not saying I prefer this to the original...COME ON, you think I'd prefer anything WITHOUT Bruce Campbell???  I just think that the two versions stand on their own without having to be compared to one another.  This new version was pure horror, no slapstick, no camp.  The original was campy.  It had it's moments and did come off as "scary" with the humor.  Personally, I think that's what made it genius. As I said before, the new Evil Dead stayed close enough to the original story about five friends on a weekend getaway in a creepy, old cabin in the woods.  In this updated version though, one of the friends has asked the others to come to the cabin to help her get off drugs, "cold turkey".  While at the cabin, the friends find the book, read from it, awaken Evil, get possessed and mostly die. The gore was there in buckets, yes I made that joke.  The Deadite/demon was just as creepy as in the original.  In fact, the woman who voiced it in the original did it in the version, too,  (Ellen Sandweiss, who played Cheryl).  Bottom line, make all the comparisons that you want to the original Evil Dead, but enjoy the new version for what it is, a horror movie made for the sake of horror.

No comments:

Post a Comment