Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The Conjouring

So I finally got to see, The Conjouring.  I was not able to see it when it was in the theaters, so as soon as it was out on dvd I bought it knowing that I was going to really like it and want it as part of my permanent horror collection.  I was not wrong!   I think part of my affection for it was that it was based on a story from the New England area.
For those of you who don't know the story it is about a family in Rhode Island who in the 1970's, purchase a house dating from the 1800's.  Strange occurrences begin to happen, some violent which are toward the mother. Things progress to a point where the family needs outside help.  They contact Ed & Lorraine Warren, who are well-known demonologists.  The Warrens come to the house and immediately sense an evil presence. They quickly do research on the house and discover a disturbing history.   It was originally the home of a woman named Bathsheba.  She was a descendant of a woman who had been hanged as a witch in Salem. Bathsheba gives birth and is caught by her husband sacrificing the child.  She then commits suicide, but not before she curses (naturally) the house and the surrounding land.  She proclaims that anyone who tries to steal her land will die.  The Warrens then discover that over the decades various home owners have died mysteriously.   By this point, the family is so tormented by the spirit of Bathsheba that the mother has been possessed and has tried to harm the children.  The Warrens decide to exorcise  the spirit and are successful. All is well after that.
The movie was pretty true to the story with just a few minor changes.  I found one of the most disturbing scenes in the movie to be one where one of the children describing to the parents what she had seen in her bedroom.  The young actress played the part so well, she was able to imbue the audience with the utter terror that she felt. I can't say the movie was one the best I'd ever seen, but do really like it and am glad that I own it since I'll probably watch it again and again.  I hope you do, too!



No comments:

Post a Comment